Anthropology Scholarships and Awards
The Department offers several scholarships to undergraduate students pursuing a degree in anthropology. Students must apply for these scholarships through ASAP (Appalachian Scholarship Application Portal) during the application window of Dec. 1-Feb. 7. (For Loucks summer research awards, there will be an additional application window later in the spring semester, exact dates TBA.)
To learn more about our scholarships follow the links below:
- Dr. L. Jill Loucks Memorial Scholarship in Anthropology is awarded based on academic achievement
- Stephen Richard Weller Memorial Scholarship for Anthropology is awarded based on academic achievement and financial need
- Dr. Susan E. Keefe Award for Practicing Anthropology is awarded to students who have contributed in a significant way to solving problems using anthropological theories and methods.
Funding for Summer Research and Training
Small summer stipends are available through the Dr. L. Jill Loucks Memorial Scholarship Fund to support student training in anthropology. Applications for the Loucks Summer Stipends will be accepted in the spring semester (dates TBA).
Outstanding Senior Award
Each year, faculty select an outstanding graduating senior or seniors to receive the Dr. L. Jill Loucks Memorial Award for Outstanding Senior
Consider scholarships offered by the College of Arts and Sciences. Visit the college website to see the qualifications for each scholarship offered. For more questions, contact the Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (828) 262-3078.
- Sally A. Callegari Memorial Scholarship for Gender Diversity in Animal Studies
- Drs. Joanne Smith and Don R. Brannon Scholarship for Natural Sciences
- Richard A. Thomas Memorial Scholarship for Arts and Sciences
- Jonathan K. Perryman Memorial Scholarship for the Sciences
- GlaxoSmithKline Women in Science Scholarships
- The Peggy Harmon Shore Pre-Health Care Professional Endowed Scholarship
Faculty and Staff Awards
Each year, the College of Arts and Sciences recognizes several members of the faculty and staff for outstanding service, teaching, or scholarly work. Help support the Department of Anthropology by nominating a faculty or staff member in recognition of their positive contribution to the College and University! Nominations are normally due in August. Read more here on how to nominate a faculty or staff member of the Department.